Bank of the West Principal Sr. Credit Officer in Fresno, California
Principal Sr. Credit Officer
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team of more than 10,000 employees who embody the optimistic spirit of the West. These employees reflect modern western values of being straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity. Bank of the West strives to create an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines including Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Job Description Summary
The position is responsible for facilitating and supporting the bank’s objectives to increase earning assets while maintaining quality standards by approving or declining commercial and/or real estate loans, and by working closely with assigned units to negotiate and structure highly complex credit arrangements. Lending authority is based on the experience level of the Sr. Credit Officer and the risk profile of the borrower. The SCO generally supports more than one geographic area and/or functional specialty.
Essential Job Functions
· Facilitates commercial and/or real estate loan originations by working with line officers in reviewing and approving or declining loan proposals that meet the customers’ or prospects’ needs while conforming to bank and regulatory requirements.
· Reinforces adherence to bank underwriting policies and procedures with a focus on maintaining credit quality and managing risk. Assists in monitoring compliance with internal and regulatory requirements.
· Ensures appropriate risk rating is assigned based on the risk profile of the customer. Follows and reports on industry trends that are impacting the borrower and may put the bank at risk.
· Analyzes pertinent financial and credit data and makes final credit decisions (approval or declination) within signing authority. Recommends to higher level of authority as required.
· Interacts with internal and external auditors on regulatory issues of quality and on related trends.
· Effectively evaluates and reports portfolio activity, trends and credit quality.
· Assists in identifying and managing troubled assets and potential troubled assets in assigned area.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Extensive knowledge of production agriculture throughout all Bank of the West marketing regions. Must be experienced in the perfection of liens on crops, inventory, machinery and real property.
· In-depth knowledge and understanding of processes associated with loan underwriting, closing and administration. Complete understanding of syndications, capital markets, and other highly complex lending facilities.
· Ability to analyze simple to complex financial statements to evaluate the financial stability of an entity or individual.
· Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, customers, peers and at group meetings.
· Ability to solve complex problems and deal with a variety of situations where only limited standards may exist and critical thinking is needed for effective resolutions. Must be able to establish and build strong working relationships with Bank of the West Team Members, Division Managers and Credit Product Officers.
· Complete all mandatory compliance and other assigned training as instructed and within the prescribed time-frame.
· Comply with code of conduct & bank policies/procedures.
· Actively identify incidents that are of concern or that may put the bank at risk and report to management.
· Become familiar with and comply with laws, regulations and internal policies and procedures.
· Bachelor’s degree with 10 years agricultural lending and business management experience, or the equivalent of education and experience.
· Master’s/Advanced Degree in Business / Finance – Preferred
· Extensive knowledge of production agriculture and previous experience financing crop, dairy and livestock operations are essential qualifications to the position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.
Job: Risk Management
Location: United States-California-Fresno
Other Locations: United States-California-Sacramento
Requisition ID: 039516